Undoubtedly, the church in Kerry formed the focal point of this community and on a Sunday morning there would have been a busy stream of foot traffic emanating from all the farm houses and cottages along the Vale of the Mule brook, converging on the Gilfach lane to attend Sunday Mass in the still Catholic Church of Llanfihangel (church of St. Michael) in Kerry. The present access track to Cwm Weeg which drops steeply down from the Vastre road was only built in the mid 19th Century and this was also the time when St. Paul’s Church in Dolfor was erected to provide easier access to church for the inhabitants of Dolfor, who until that time had to walk either to Kerry or Mochdre for Sunday service, both routes becoming very difficult in snow bound winters.
Most of the land from the Dolfor Hills to the top of the Vastre was “common land” and was only enclosed and distributed amongst the Kerry landowners around 1795, following the Kerry Enclosures Act. In fact, almost half the area of Kerry Parish was common land before this time.
This earlier designation as “Common” or “Waste” of the higher land around Dolfor and the Vastre would have reinforced the orientation towards Kerry in former occupants of the Cwm, the Vale of the Mule being more gentle and far less foreboding in winter than the hills above.
Back to History main page and Part III